Wednesday, November 26

Upland City Library

Carnegie Library

The Renovation of the historic Carnegie Library building located at the northeast corner of First Avenue and D Street was completed in April 2000. The rehabilitation of Upland's 5,400 sq. ft. Carnegie building has resulted in a state-of-the-art, modern facility in a historic setting.

The interior has been redesigned to accommodate a wide variety of public and private events. The main floor provides a 1500 square foot, tastefully appointed room for meetings, elegant dinner or luncheons, receptions, seminars or exhibits. The lower level houses the Upland Public Library's Literacy program.There is a kitchen complete with sink, range, refrigerator and dishwasher. There is ample room for catered events.

If you would like information on booking the Carnegie Building for an event please see the Library’s Carnegie Room Rental page for current information.


HERE ARE A FEW FACTS....

The Carnegie Library was constructed during 1912-1913, with a $10,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie foundation. The City contributed $4,000 for books and furnishings. This is one of two remaining Carnegie libraries in the County and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.

This is Upland's first civic building and operated as the public library from 1913-1969.

The budget for this project was $670,000, and was funded mainly by redevelopment funds. Funds for this project over the past ten years included Federal Community Development Block Grant funds totaling $250,000 for asbestos removal, seismic reinforcement and an interior handicap accessible elevator. About $25,000 of City General Funds was spent on interior fire sprinklers and framing.

The General Contractor was Mickelson & Campbell, (909) 592-6708